Almost all, that is. I did get one caller who provided a minimum level of excitement. The exchange went something like this:
- Can I talk to _____?
I check my list of extensions. The caller has asked for a name that's not on my list.
- Could you spell that for me, please?
- (Spells the name.)
I check again. Still not there.
- I'm sorry, I'm not seeing it.
- What do you mean, not seeing it? Check again. She's worked there since before you were born.
- (I spell the name back to her)?
- Yes. _____. This has been her number for the last twelve years. I don't know what the problem is.
- I don't know what I can do for you. I'm just covering the phones.
- Well, I don't know either. I mean, if you won't --
- Let's try this. Hold please.
I push a promising-looking button on the phone that will at least get rid of the call.
I assume I did something right, because I never heard back from this person. But what the hell? Who talks to people that way? Did she honestly think I was twelve years old?